Monday, April 29, 2013

How can I teach myself about classical music?

Q. I don't know anything about classical music, but I would like to. Is there a website or something that will teach the basics (history, criticism, how to appreciate important works) to someone who is unfamiliar with the subject?

A. If you're able to afford it, I would begin with piano lessons: this instrument along with the pipe organ contains the complete registration heard in most CM (not including some compositions of the modern era). To be familiar with its capabilities is almost fundamental to any study of music mechanics - theory/harmony/counter-point/composition, etc.

Two great ON-LINE resources for introduction to and broaden ones knowledge of CM (Western Art Music) is first, this very comprehensive Music 101 dissertation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classical_music

And two - and equally important - is to avail yourself of the literally 1,000's of You Tube video performances of all types of CM.

Instrumental: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F63MSrdYx5w

Orchestral: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1Gc0StkBBk&feature=related

Operatic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Op1VoQXXARs

Organ: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQ-ziYBi7U8

Welcome to the world of CM,

Alberich

How can I learn classical music on a guitar?
Q. I want to learn to play classical music on the guitar, but I am afraid I don't know where to start. An instructor is not really an option at this moment, however any books, websites or general information would be nice. Thanks.

A. Fred Noad's "Solo Guitar Playing" Volume 1 is a great resource. You can buy a version with a CD so that you can be sure that what you're doing is what's intended! It's hard to teach yourself - if you're not sure how to do something, you can't ask yourself what you're doing wrong! Why not have occasional lessons just to keep yourself on the right path?

YouTube *can* be good, but there's some awful rubbish up there too, and no way of knowing what's good and what's not.

I hope you enjoy what can be a wonderful hobby, either as a solo instrument or in a group.

What is the name of the classical music that plays on the SIMS 3 radio?
Q. I know, kind of a stupid question lol. I've been having problems falling asleep and just the other day I was on SIMS 3 and the classical music from the radio played and it made me really sleepy so I shut my computer off and went straight to sleep. I wanted to know the artist/composer/title of the classical songs so that I could try listening to the songs to make me fall asleep. If anyone knows, please let me know :)

Thank You!

A. Okay, the easiest way to find out the artist/composers and titles of the song is through the options mode. From most windows (excluding the loading) you can press the ... usually in the left corner of the window and open the options tab (Note: you need to be actually in the game to get into these features). From there click the little tab on the top of that menu which has a music symbol (or something like that) you can preview all of the songs from there and it also has a list of the names of them and composers.

I agree with you, the songs on the sims 3 are quite good besides the Create a sim mode and build/buy mode (slightly annoying). Those songs always seem to get stuck in my head and I usually find myself humming along!

Once you have found the names of the songs and the composers you should probably try searching them on youtube or something. I do know that most of the music, besides the custom music and some of the classical music is specially made for the game.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment